The European Company Lawyers Association (ECLA) is the umbrella organization for 19 company lawyers’ associations in Europe. It has been representing the common interests of European company lawyers since 1983. Why was the association founded and by whom?
The EU Commission’s proposed tax on digital business models is facing massive resistance: Member states are refusing support and trade associations are warning about the consequences. Companies, on the other hand, seem to be remaining remarkably calm. Experts are calling for an international solution – and anticipate national action.
Activist investors, who have primarily operated in the U.S. in the past, have now set their sights on Europe. The study Investor Activism by CLI – Corporate Legal Insights and CMS Hasche Sigle shows that in some areas, companies are significantly underestimating the threat. But what can be done by the companies to develop a counterstrategy?
The Achmea ruling of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) caused a stir in trade policy in March 2018. The ECJ had to issue a decision on a bilateral investment protection treaty (intra-EU BIT) between two EU states, i.e. Slovakia and the Netherlands. It used these proceedings to make a general statement and ruled: Clauses of this kind in intra-EU BITs are not compatible with EU law. What does this mean for the EU member states? How will investors react to the termination of the intra-EU BITs?
The European Company Lawyers Association (ECLA) is the umbrella organization for 19 company lawyer associations in Europe and represents the common interests of European company lawyers. But what are these interests? What is the status of company lawyers in different European countries? And what are the main aspects of their day-to-day work?
Europe must undergo profound reform to succeed in the digital, globalized age
– GDPR as a protective measure – Europe must increasingly take the lead
– Things have to change
– It can be done
– The European Union is the answer – but it must undergo profound reform
BEST PRACTICES SHARING FOR COMPANY LAWYERS – CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE
1. Corporate | Mergers & Acquisitions
3. Public Policy | EU Regulations
4. Digitalization | GDPR
5. Legal Technology
6. Organization | Diversity
– “It‘s a brave new world”
– Pleading for the professional status of company lawyers
– Guy Verhofstadt on the future of the European Union
– ECLA‘s permanent presence in the heart of the European Union
– 2018 Reception
– French anti-corruption plan makes eDiscovery necessary
– Compliance hurdles are particularly high in international business
– Compliance violations can threaten a company’s very existence
– Internal investigations are now standard